Friday, June 26, 2009

Politics and the Broken Bowl


The destruction of the "cap-and-trade" bill has already begun. Evidence: the above picture. While helping Dad finalize a note to our congressman this morning, I heard a rhythmic thumping noise in the kitchen. What could it be? No one is in there. The mixer is kneading dough. Oh, no! The mixer! My heart sunk. I had heard this noise before when the mixer had "walked" its way to the edge of the counter. -sprint- Crash!! Gasp! The mixer with my last batch of bread for the day lay on the floor. Like a mother scooping up her fallen child to see the damage, we hurriedly picked up the mess. While my sister checked out the mixer, I assessed the state of the bowl. Right away I saw the damage - a large and ugly crack. It was a goner. Needless to say, that batch of dough soon found its way into the compost.
Thankfully the bowl (and dough) were the only casualties in the accident. The mixer still runs as good as ever, and no great damage can be seen on the wood floor. Thank you, Lord!
The link between politics and my bowl's demise may not be very strong. Yet I gasp - where is my beautiful United States going?

No comments: