Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Picnic Lunch

Autumn - There are many characteristics that lend themselves to making this my favorite time of year. The smell of apples cooking on the stove, colored leaves, crisp, fresh air, leaves crunching under foot... Some of my best memories come from this season. Typically even though our fall days have always been busy - storing away home grown food, winterizing garden, home, and lake cabin, plowing telephone cable into the ground once the crops are harvested, etc. - there is something about the season that calls for setting all work aside, getting the whole family in the car, and going for a relaxing drive and picnic.

Sandwiches are an important part of my family's picnics. Since bread is rarely hard to come by in our house, I guess it makes sense. Sliced bread, buns, plain bread, flavored bread, meat, jam, salad filling, prepared at home, assembled on the picnic - we've had it all. Though all have tasted delicious (what doesn't in the great outdoors?), there have been a few that stand out in our memories. One such sandwich was made with meat, lettuce, and Cran-Orange Whole Wheat Bread (picture above). As I have mentioned before, there is something about the sweet fruitiness of this bread along with meat that makes this sandwich rise above all other meat sandwiches. It's much the same concept as turkey and cranberries, ham and raisin sauce, and if you are Scandinavian, ribs and lingenberries. A simple idea, but a delicious one.

Happy picnicking, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Elsa,
I haven't read your blog recently and it was so fun to have several entries that I had not read. You do a great job and it makes me want to go and bake some different types of bread. The cracked pepper bread sounds so good! I'm glad it is working out for you in DL! I really like your tent! I was hoping to see you more in Pelican this summer but we just don't get to town much and especially on Tues. Shelley