Friday, September 12, 2008

Bacon, Eggs, and... Black Pepper Seed Bread?

Do you have favorite bread and spread/filling duos? I have a few -- Whole Wheat French Boule with peanut butter and jam, Dill-Onion Bread and fresh tomato, Cran-Orange Whole Wheat Bread and chicken salad, and Black Pepper Seed Bread and cheese. Lately my goal has been to broaden my sandwich horizons. Black Pepper Seed Bread (still my favorite flavored bread) should have more matches than cheese, I'm determined. What could they be?

Unfortunately I have only had one loaf of this bread in the freezer and 6 hungry adults to feed, so experimenting has been rather limited. Where to start? How about that recipe I saw in the latest Country Home magazine? I've always loved BLT's, and fried egg sandwiches are a good and easy comfort food, so why not. Here's what I (with plenty of help from the family) did.

Mix together:
2 T. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. capers, drained
Fry:
4 slices bacon
4 eggs (Fry after the bacon in a little of the drippings.)
Toast:
4 slices Black Pepper Seed Bread
Slice:
Tomato (we used Romas - not so sloppy wet)
Snip:
Fresh basil, optional

Spread some mayonnaise mixture on the toasted bread. Pile with egg, tomato, and bacon in whatever order you wish and sprinkle with basil if desired.

This is what it looked like.
Now of course with 6 hearty, country eaters we made more than this, but these are the proportions in the recipe.

This is what I learned from fixing this sandwich:
-Don't try out a new food when you are over-tired and stressed. Nothing tastes good then.
-Basil grown at home from the same packet but on different years (thus different growing conditions) isn't necessarily going to taste the same. I'm curious to know what the conditions were this year that made it stronger.
-Capers aren't my favorite flavoring.
-Eggs, bacon, and tomato mask the wonderful, peppery flavor of the bread.

This sounds pretty negative, but not all the ratings were as critical as mine. I may just have to try it again sometime, with a few alterations of course. Meanwhile the mother-of-all recipe hunt continues. If I don't succeed there is always cheese! Who coined the phrase, "Variety is the spice of life," anyway?

PS - Mom's current spread of choice on Black Pepper Seed Bread is home-made apple butter. Sound strange? Try it, and you may just be surprised.

No comments: