Monday, November 9, 2009

Every day at the farmers' market a few coins and the occasional bill or two were added to the can. It seemed like slow going at times, but with each new giver a surge of joy rushed through me as I gave an extra smile and heartfelt "Thank you!" At the end of each day I lifted the can. Yes, it was getting heavier.

By September I was beginning to see dollar bills peaking their thin edges out the slot in top of the can. The day I would empty, count, and send the money to the ministry was coming soon.

A month or so ago I opened the can and counted carefully. $57.97 - the sum total collected all summer long. How excited I was to send this money off to the ministry. I knew that soon many hungry and pinched stomachs were going to be filled with nutrition packed food. More than that I rejoiced to know that when the $57.97 worth of food was all digested, the hope of the truth of Christ's salvation would continue to be in the hearts of the people. For those who accepted salvation along with their free gift of food, they now have the greatest free gift of all, one that will never be used up or go away.

Coins and a few bills - considered so little and useless to us. Yet to some hungry stomach and lost, yearning soul these small pieces of metal and paper are the source of a few more days of life and carry the message of eternal life.

www.gainusa.org

No comments: