Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rewinding -- Gluten Free I

January 4-6, 2010
Intense days of research. Hopefully I now know enough about gluten-free baking to begin tinkering around the kitchen with brown rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, etc.

January 7, 2010
A full day in the kitchen. Baked a small bread order, three trial granola bar recipes, and two batches of gluten-free (GF) bread. Learned much; much more to learn.

Also refreshed "barm," my sourdough starter, by adding flour and water. This is a twice a week duty in the winter which increases to three times a week in the summer. Summer is when barm is used and depleted regularly for farmers' market sales.


















Multigrain Gluten-Free Bread -- I can't say the flavor and texture were anything to brag about. Dry and crumbly with an unusual "bite" in the flavor. A caved-in top crust indicates too much liquid.

Brown Rice & Sorghum Bread -- A tired loaf. This is what happens when I stick a thermometer probe into an under-baked GF loaf.

Another Brown Rice & Sorghum loaf. Its sag isn't nearly as pronounced as the other loaf. I was very pleased with the texture of this bread - elastic (not crumbly) and moist. Flavor was quite pleasing, too. I definitely have found a good base recipe here!

No comments: