Monday, April 28, 2008

Chocolate Pecan Bread

- Chocolate Pecan Bread -
Yes, this is a yeast bread, and it's the latest from the "test kitchen." After trying five recipes I ditched them all to create my own chocolate bread. Starting with my whole wheat French bread I added Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips, toasted pecans, cocoa, and a hint of sugar. The result - the perfect bread for all chocolate lovers. Although it's not much to look at (no, it's not burnt) Chocolate Pecan Bread delights the mouth with it's moist, slightly chewy crumb, nutty pecan pieces, and bursts of complex bittersweet chocolate flavor. How is it eaten? My family and I have only begun to explore the possibilities, but the current favorites are just as is, slightly warmed to make little pools of chocolate, and the latest, generously spread with peanut butter. I'm dreaming of eating it alongside a bowl of fresh from the garden raspberries or spread with a fruit flavored butter (strawberry?), cream cheese, or cherry jam. Whatever way it's eaten, it is great with a special meal, as a dessert, with tea, or just as a snack.

The most exciting thing is that it's not just my family that has been enjoying it. After making six experimental loaves in one day alone, we decided it was time to start giving loaves away. I haven't gotten any complaints yet. Yay for a success! Now if only my current experiments would turn out as well...

No comments: