Thursday, July 3, 2008

Multi-tasking

Multi-tasking - it seems like this is the blight of modern day man. Talking on the phone while folding the laundry as one waits for cookies to bake, brushing teeth while pulling things together for a day away from home, painting fingernails while wading through stop-and-go, rush hour traffic... I know I am guilty of this hurry flurry, scattered puzzle piece life (well, maybe not the fingernail part :]).

While some multi-tasking serves only to waste time and produce headaches, there are forms that have better results. Take my time at the farmer's market last Tuesday for example...

For me the farmer's market doesn't mean just selling bread. It is also the perfect time to catch up on ever pressing paper work that comes with the baking job.
Those slower times also give me an opportunity to keep a hand in my favorite hobbies, like crocheting. This would be doily #3 made mostly at the farmer's market. One per year - not bad!
This day I had a helper. Maren, my oldest sister, took the opportunity of a canceled tutoring session to come with me for the morning. Her multi-tasking job was one that I frequently do - letter writing. What a perfect time to dabble in this "ancient hobby". (Joey, I quoted you!)


The only thing I can't do at the market is blog. I'll just have to move across the street to the coffee shop and bask in their hot spot.



And with all that multi-tasking, I still got my main job done. Look at that beautifully empty box! So you see, there are some happy endings in the multi-tasking saga.

No comments: